Saturday, May 17, 2008

The new toy

Bit the bullet and stumped up $600 for an eeePC so I can have really portable computing. It weighs less than 1kg and would fit into a medium to large pocket. I do have a bag full of so many cables that I have already earned the nickname śparky´ but apart from that I am well impressed. The memory card from the digital camera is in the usb card reader, I paid the (extortionate) $10 for one hour wireless access at the airport (some places have it free - not broadband challenged NZ) and logged on to this site no problem! Just because i can. Not because there is anything interesting to report at this stage.

Just because can, here are some pix taken about 10 minutes ago before Ian, Gary and Lorraine went early to the gate. Their flight is one hour late so we had plenty time to catch up here and will probably meet again at LAX in the United departure area. They are going on to Las Vegas and Flastaff Arizona. I am going straight to Albuquerque, New Mexico then by road to Austin where we will meet again.

Small hitch encountered. Photos are too big to upload to blog and experience does not permit downsizing without trusty Mac and iPhoto software. Managed to get them up on Flickr so here is a link instead. Not that they are anything really worth looking at! As I say - I am just playing with my new toy!

Next stop LAX.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your new eeePC sounds like what Graeme henderson has just purchased. When you get back you can compare notes. An executable USB pen drive might also help next time with any special apps. Good luck at LAX. Lyn

May 20, 2008 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy Gunn said...

Thanks for the tip Lyn. I will check in with Graeme and check out the executable. I have to borrow my friend's Mac to reduce the size of photos for uploading - that or use a link to Flickr. The eeePC is great though - this post comes to you from te balcony of the India Lodge in Fort Davis, Texas and I am surprised wireless can reach across these mountains!
Cheers, Cathy

May 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Sorry if this is a repeat.)

Great photos Cathy. I'm green.

Have had an urgent request from AUT for confirmation that you're interested in collaborating on an E-Learning Teacher Fellowship Research and Facilitation. It's needed before June 6. Could you confirm this, or send the email address you're using so that I can forward the email.

Sorry to mention the dreaded but thought you might be sorry if you missed out on this.

Have fun.

Liz

May 30, 2008 at 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home